Global Health 101 3rd ed
by Richard Skolnik
Global Health 101, Second Edition (formerly titled Essentials of Global Health) is a clear, concise, and user-friendly introduction to the most critical issues in global health. It illustrates key themes with an extensive set of case studies, examples, and the latest evidence. While the book offers a global perspective, particular attention is given to the health-development link, to developing countries, and to the health needs of poor and disadvantaged people. Global Health 101 builds on the success of an introductory global health course taught by the author at the George Washington School of Public Health and Health Services and is ideally suited for the the Association of American Colleges and Universities recommended course by the same name. The text is accompanied by a wealth of instructor’s resources, as well as a robust companion website with videos, presentations, and references intended to help both teachers and students.
Richard Skolnik is the winner of numerous honors for teaching, has taught global health for 8 years, and has more than 30 years of experience as a global health practitioner in multilateral, university, and NGO settings. He has been actively involved in dealing with critical issues in global health at country level and at the highest levels of international health policy making. Learn more about the author.
“Richard Skolnik’s Essentials of Global Health is so comprehensive that it will be key reading in international health. In accessible language, he explains why good health is crucial to economic development, what indicators help track changes in global health, and requirements for good health systems. Approaches to solving world health problems must be under pinned by good ethics and human rights guidelines, he says, and local practices and cultures must not be ignored. Skolnik looks in detail at children’s and women’s health, and at the different challenges of tackling communicative and non-communicative disease in developing countries. He also maps out the key players in global health and looks ahead to future challenges.”
–The Lancet, October 2007
The book is organized in four parts:
– Principles, Measurements, and the Health-Development Link: The principles of Global Health; Health Determinants, Measurements, and Trends; and Health, Education, Poverty, and the Economy.
– Cross-Cutting Global Health Themes: Human Rights, Ethics, and Global Health; An Introduction to Health Systems; and Culture and Health.
– The Burden of Disease: The Environment and Health; Nutrition and Health; Women’s Health; Child Health; Infectious Diseases; Non-Communicable Diseases; and Unintentional Injuries.
– Working Together to Improve Global Health: Conflicts, Natural Disasters, and Other Emergencies; Cooperating to Improve Global Health; and, Science Technology, and the Public’s Health.”
Updates to the Second Edition:
Updated tables and charts to include the most recent data on the burden of disease and risk factors
– An expanded section on health disparities and health equity
– A greatly expanded section on Neglected Tropical Diseases
– An expanded section on the financing of global health and innovative financing mechanisms
– Additional information on drug resistance and emerging and re-emerging infectious diseases
– Additional information on innovative mechanisms for program implementation in areas related to key chapter topics, such as performance based financing in maternal health, TB, and health systems development
– An expanded section on public-private partnerships and product development partnerships for health
– Additional examples and mini-case studies in all of the core chapters
– A new chapter on “Careers in Global Health”, with information on careers, which would be illustrated with profiles of global health leaders from around the world, who model those careers
Looking for more real-life evidence? Check out Cases 1, 3, 6, 7, & 13 in Essential Case Studies in Public Health, Putting Public Health into Practice.
Textbooks are a great and affordable price! Will definitely buy again.
LOVe the free textbook offer
I sent a link to my classmates and was able to get my textbook for free. I wasn’t sure at first but thankful and happy I tried. I got to download the book immediately .
This Site is a Great Find for online books
I was skeptic at first due to the amazing price but ordered my first book. As soon as I completed my purchase the link was right there to download my book. Great quality and I will be checking back for more books in the future!
This Was A Great FInd
We all know textbooks are overpriced, and I was ecstatic over finding this book at this price.
Was searching the entire Internet, but finally got it for the best price.
Thank you so much bookpanthers, I got my text book for the best price on internet. And even the best thing is i got a coupon for sharing the link, across my class to get a free text book. With the help of this website, i am way to go with my subject.